The Duality of Perspective
The one thing that separates you I from everyone around us is our perspective of things like life and what we make of it.
Perspective is what influences how you perceive all that goes on around you.
What goes on within you can influence how you deal with what happens outside you so it’s a good idea you take the time to gain perspective and understand where it comes from.
- Concern you
- Worry you
- Anger you
- or set you up for hopelessness
But perspective can also:
- Drive you
- Inspire you
- Motivate you
- and Fill you with resolve & determination
I make no bones about it, I’m an unapologetic optimist. I like to see what the possibilities are at this point in my life.
Drive, inspiration, motivation and determination feel a lot better than the rest of the bag o’ crap negative points I mentioned. However it’s within those bag o’ crap moments that a choice is made and character is born.
“Character is like a tree, and reputation is like a shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.” -Abraham Lincoln 16th President of the United States
It’s my positive perspective I’ve chosen based on my past experiences that have lead to who I am today:
- I’ve dealt with everything from almost dying twice from substance abuse to on the other hand being 150 lbs, 6.5 % body fat and in the most peak shape of my life.
- I went from washing dishes and throwing out the trash in a restaurant at the the age of 18 to speaking to and inspiring up to 15,000 people from stage and making a difference in their lives.
- I know what it’s like to be so broke you can’t keep the lights on and I know what it’s like to experience staying 7 days in a 5 star resort in the Bahamas in the lap of luxury.
- I’ve also experienced what it’s like to sleep on the streets when I was 18 with only $500 in my shoe and no friends to reach out to and on the other hand I’ve also experienced friendships so close that I’m now the godfather of one of my closest friends first born child.
- I’ve experienced having the only transportation I owned (A 12 speed bike) stolen & walking miles to work and on the other hand I’ve owned a Lexus SC300 that was a blast to drive.
Why did I make the choice to turn all of those situations around?
The quote below masterfully states it:
“Until someone see’s something different, hears something different, reads something different or hangs around a different social network their perspectives never change.” -Frank AuCoin
I chose to influence my philosophies around life.
What Drives Perspective
Your perspectives are driven by your philosophies.
Do you know what your philosophies are around the following:
If you’re not clear on your philosophies surrounding at least the above area’s, there’s a good chance they aren’t optimized for living an awesome life.
If money isn’t in your top 5 highest priorities it won’t matter if you get a bunch of it or even a little bit. You’ll get rid of it on what is your highest priority just as soon as you get it.
Identify the top 5 values that are most important to you.
Keep in mind, all of us every day operate from our highest values.
If you have to have to be motivated by someone or something then you’re not working on what’s considered your highest core value. If it’s high on your value list (Top 5) you don’t need to be motivated. You’ll be inspired to get up early in the morning and stay up late.
Your perspective will depend greatly on your philosophy so make sure you read, listen, watch or hang around different people who support healthy philosophies that leads you to a quality of life you desire.
Take some time to investigate what values you hold highest and your philosophies surrounding them.